When I was 19 and a freshman in college, my oldest older brother once said to me: You should write a book called Opinionated Thoughts, by Ruth. He was 25, so cooler than I by tons and tons. I took his comment as the ribbing it was but also as the veiled compliment it also was.
I recounted this event to my husband and his response was a tweak to the title. Shouldn’t that be Opinionated Facts, by Ruth ? More ribbing!
Oh, well. Like most ribbing, it is based in an accurate observation. It’s true, I have always been one to think about stuff, a lot, and come up with passionate opinions.
I really do hold the opinion (fact) that life is better when you decide to notice the little details. Enjoy your morning cup of coffee more by
• holding the warm cup against your face
• inhaling deeply the luscious smell
• adding just a tad more cream or sugar and then appreciating this little gift of decadence you’ve just given yourself.
I really do hold the opinion (fact) that life is better when you slow down. Walking from point A to point B without also doing another task.
• no cell phone calls
• no mental To Do checklist
• no re-playing in your mind some old drama.
• Simply enjoy feeling in your muscles from the walk, the smells in the air, all there is to look at, etc.
I really do hold the opinion (fact) that life is better when you give yourself and other people a break.
• No biggee that you didn’t get everything done you’d planned for today.
• Sure, take the right of way even though it’s my turn.
• You speak in a harsh way: I won’t rise to the bait, but rather figure you’re having a rough day This is the perfect time for me to say something nice instead of something to challenge your hostile words.
It is my opinion (that I believe to be a fact) that we mostly make the life we have by choosing how we react to stimuli. I invite you to do the work of disciplining your mind to choose to the more positive interpretation of every situation. It has made my life better.
Smile. Be Happy.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Smiley
Best enjoyed (in my opinion)
slowly with eyes closed, all senses alert.